How to configure SSO for Method Grid using Okta.
NB: We have a new left hand side, column style navigation bar which replaces the original top banner, text based bar. By way of a quick guide, working from the top down; the Method Grid avatar (or your company graphic for the Professional customers), is your link to your account home page (a page which will evolve into your “Productivity Hub” throughout 2021). Second is your notifications centre; third, the account search; fourth, your grid library; fifth, you dashboards; sixth, the light bulb, your link to element templates and example grids; seventh, your members and group pages; eighth, help and support; and finally your profile image, the place for profile and account settings, the switch account feature (for those with multiple accounts) and the other areas that currently sit there.
You can read the release blog here.
This feature is only available to Professional (paying) customers. If you are using a free account and wish to use this feature, the first steps are:
- Upgrade to Professional plan
- Go to "Account settings" in the profile image pop-out menu, bottom left of the navigation bar > Configure domain > Set name and domain
NB: Your Method Grid account must have a unique domain/URL for SSO to work
Configuring SSO for Okta
Part 1 | Setting up in Okta
- Log in to your Okta account. Click 'Applications' in the main navigation and select 'Applications' from the dropdown
- Click the green 'Add Application' button
- Click the green 'Create New App' button
- In the modal set the application 'Platform' setting to 'Web' and the 'Sign on method' to 'OpenID Connect' and confirm by clicking the green 'Create' button at the bottom
- Give the application a name, we suggest Method Grid (you can even add a logo if you wish) and enter https://app.methodgrid.com/sso/okta as the redirect URI. Click the green 'Save' button
- Copy and safely store your 'Client ID' and 'Client Secret', you will need these to complete the setup in Method Grid
- Click 'Security' in the main navigation and select 'API' from the dropdown
- Make a note of your 'Issuer URI' found in the third column of the table, you will need this to complete the setup in Method Grid
- Click 'Applications' in the main navigation and on the 'Applications' page select Method Grid (or whatever you decided to call it) from the table
- Click 'Assignments' in the sub nav below the application name
- Click the green 'Assign' dropdown button and select 'Assign to People' or 'Assign to Groups'. You will have to add any person or group (depending how you have organised your Okta directory) to the application here. In the modal that appears click 'Assign' along side the name of a person or group, click on the green 'Save and go back' button on this modal and then click the green 'Done' button ... Your Okta setup is now configured, proceed to Part 2 to complete the setup in Method Grid ...
Part 2 | Completing the Okta setup in Method Grid
- Go to Settings > Configure Single Sign On > Configure Okta
- Enter the 'Client ID', 'Client Secret' and 'Issuer URI' that you safely stored into their respective fields and click the save tick
- Now any team member who signs into Method Grid using their login for this configured Okta account will be automatically added as member to your Method Grid account if they are not one already
Please note: If you remove a team member from Okta, they will still exist in your Method Grid account but they will not be able to log in with Okta. If they were already an existing member of your Method Grid account before you configured SSO, they will still be able to log in to Method Grid with their original log in details. If you wish for them to be inactive in Method Grid, please be make sure you archive them. You can do this on the members page by clicking the 'Archive' (box file icon) associated with them (How do I manage members?)